Monday, July 14, 2008

second camp...

We have been in the second location (really like the 5th location but second camp) since Saturday. We all realized we were very blessed with the weather in the mountains because it was a lot cooler even though we dealt with rain. Here it is nothing but hot and humid. However, the team is surprising positive and I haven't heard much complaining.
When we got here on Saturday, the principle asked if I would be willing to teach every morning within a different class separate from our already scheduled camp. Since our camp starts every afternoon and goes into the night, I said, yes. However, they didn't tell me until Monday morning that the students are all jr. high juvenile delinquents that have run away from home and are now children of the government. The teacher saw me walk in and said, "you need helpers.. you can't do this". Well, I didn't come with helpers! I was alone. I had a chance to pray with a team member before I left and we talked a lot about the verse that says, "in everything do not be anxious". I truly felt confident that God was with me as I walked into that classroom. The class went very well. I felt like it could have gone out of control any second, but it didn't. The students were more rowdy than the normal Chinese/Taiwanese students, but sadly they were equal to American students. One of the students is special ed. He is huuuge. He is so tall and built and the rest of team was scared for my life. I admit I was a little worried at first, but then I realized he is just a huge teddy bear. He is sooo nice. He has a speech impediment, but he tries very hard and smiles continually. His name is Andrew. Please pray for this class because it is very challenging. Their English is ZERO. I have been teaching basics and I have no translator! Pray that somehow I will be able to show God's love through teaching because I obviously cannot do it verbally. The girls are so sweet! The principle and other teachers say that they must listen to me simply because I'm different and have 'hair of gold'. But, I'd like to believe that your prayers and God's guidance is present and the cause of their behavior. I have faith that God can work in this classroom and the hearts of these hurting students!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

God can do anything :) I'm proud of you for taking ahold of his calling and running with it.

Toni said...

Wow! There's a reason for everything and God chose you to be in that place even if "golden" hair comes in handy:)Hang in there, one day or hour at a time.
Love, Mom